Dhulikhel Hospital
Monday, March 13, 2023
I spent Monday at the Dhulikhel Hospital with the nursing staff. What an eye opening experience. I couldn't take a lot of photos but my words can paint a picture for you that is beyond your wildest imagination.
Our first stop was the ICU. Twelve "beds" crammed into a space that should hold 3. No separation of any kind. No heat. Medications are few. But the nursing staff was caring and dedicated to their patients. The nurses do everything here. There are no nursing assistants or orderlies. If the nurse needs something, the family is expected to do it. For example, it was nearing lunch time. Family must bring utensils and bowls. The food is supplied but they must go get it and feed the patient. The same goes for radiology and daily medications. The family must take the script and go to the pharmacy and get the medication and bring it to the nurses. A patient was getting a chest x-ray and the family had to go get the film and report and bring it to the ICU. The family waits outside and sleeps on mats.
The medical floors are simple rooms with 8-10 beds in them, mixed ages and genders. The rooms are no larger than my living room. When it's time to clean (once or twice a week) they move everyone into the hall and hose down everything. While it paints an eerie picture in your head, they have a low infection rate and it makes you wonder if we are too "sanitary" in the US.
Thursday I will go back when I return to Dhulikhel and will be visiting the maternity building which is fairly new, the emergency room, and the pediatric ward.
I had lunch at the canteen for .80! Of course it was nothing but rice and lentils but cheap nonetheless. I trekked 95 steps down to the dental school where my friends were teaching endodontics to Nepalese dental students. (the thought of going back up the 95 steps was daunting but I did it anyway)
Saw my first water buffalo.....looks like a cow.🤷
The 3/4 mile trek to the hotel.....and pack for two days in Kathmandu.
Comments
Post a Comment