Maternity Ward Visit

 Thursday, March 16, 2023

Today was spent visiting the maternity hospital in Dhulikhel.  After what I've seen I can honestly say that I wouldn't have any children here. The maternity hospital houses a pregnancy center, birthing center, and post-natal ward. They are in the process of building a NICU. The birthing center is comprised of several rooms housing 5-8 women in one room with a bathroom. The actual labor room houses two beds as shown in the picture. Privacy is an unknown word here. 



While I was there a woman was in the midwife room. She was young and having her second child.  No pain medications or epidurals are given here. All natural childbirth. 

After the babies are born the family is responsible for taking care of the baby while the mother recovers. A natural birth allows for a 24 hour stay. The cost is 300.00 USD. The family takes the newborn out to the balcony and massages them with mustard oil. They stay out in the sun for hours.  Only cloth diapers and breastfeeding.  Formula is pretty much unheard of and disposable diapers don't exist here. 




The hospital is in need of paint and repairs but for 100 USD per day for a stay, who could complain?




We popped into a grocery store this afternoon. I never knew there were so many types of beans and lentils. CRAZY!



I found the wall building interesting as well. I guess it's a waste of time to actually mix the cement. 




After a quiet dinner at the hotel, it was time for bed. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kali Temple (1000 Steps)

Temple Tour Kathmandu