Everest

 Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Today is the day!! I tried to get good sleep and drink a TON of water. We were up early for our ride to the local regional airport to helicopter to Everest Basecamp. The regional airport experience was an adventure in itself. After security we were taken to the heliport. I was already a bit skeptical about the adventure and torn between really wanting to do this and scared shitless. My concerns grew more when we saw the heliport.  It was made out of containers.




We took one last picture of ourselves in case they needed to identify our bodies. 


Our flight pattern included several stops for fuel (even more settling). Here is the intended flight pattern dependent on weather, wind, and the number of air rescues being requested. This was not helping my anxiety. (Honestly, I left a note in my luggage at the hotel with phone numbers of my family in case I didn't return.)


The views were spectacular from my front row seat in the copter. This was a great way to see Kathmandu. Nepal is the approximate size of Arkansas (pop 3 million) with a population of 30 million people. Kathmandu has 3 million alone.  The earthquake in 2015 left the country devastated and 8850 lives were lost. You can still see the remnants today. 


 Every moment of this adventure was more awesome than the next. The Himalayas are more than majestic if that's even possible. 


Drum Roll........ Welcome to Euphoria.......







While I would have loved to stay longer, I could feel the effects of the 17500 feet. We were only allowed to stay outside the helicopter for 10 minutes. It was the most incredible feeling to be there. 

On the return we landed at 12000 feet for breakfast with Everest. The view was somewhat obstructed by the clouds that were coming in. But still.....it's EVEREST!


Another highlight (and another off my bucket list) was this magnificent creature! He came out just as we were leaving. 



There is a wild YAK story that has been in my family since Krista Kay was a youngster. A friend of niece Liz had told Krista that YAKs were mean and nasty creatures and would eat her alive if she didn't behave.  It may have been funnier back then but still brought a tear to my eye when I saw the YAK. 

The rest of the flight back to Kathmandu was uneventful despite the near zero visibility which increased my anxiety once again. But our pilot was great....even though he had only been on the job for three weeks and was from BELGIUM! 

I slept well after the anxiety and excitement had settled. A dream come true! 









Comments

  1. So cool! I am currently watching a documentary Finding Michael which is about Michael Matthews who disappeared on Everest after summiting in 1999.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kali Temple (1000 Steps)

Temple Tour Kathmandu

Maternity Ward Visit